Almost all of the batteries we encounter in our day-to-day lives are chemical batteries, but there are plenty of other ways to store power. Compared to other common battery types, The Torus Flywheel offers unique, exciting benefits:
- Faster charging and discharging rates
- Substantially longer lifespan (up to 3x)
- Higher performance in hot and cold environments
- Built with environmentally friendly materials
- Extends life of a chemical battery 2x
What's On The Inside?
Made of high-strength steel, the rotor is built to handle lots of inertia, thus improving the flywheel’s energy storage capacity and efficiency.
Magnetic bearings cut down on friction, allowing the flywheel to spin for longer with less energy loss.
The flywheel is encased in a vacuum chamber to decrease air resistance and minimize energy loss. A vacuum pump is used to maintain an optimal low-pressure environment.
A high-efficiency motor-generator charges the battery by converting electrical energy into kinetic energy. When it comes time to draw upon your stored power, it then converts that same kinetic energy back into electricity.
Our robust electronics system manages the conversion of energy between the electrical system and the flywheel.
Put Torus to Work
The speed, reliability, and longevity of the Torus Flywheel make it a great fit for businesses looking to invest in energy storage.
- Avoid demand charges and lower power bill costs by easily capturing and storing large amounts of electricity when it’s at its cheapest.
- Use the Torus Flywheel’s lightning-fast discharge rate to power energy-intensive operations with clean electricity.
Ahead of The Pack
The Torus Flywheel’s ability to charge and discharge energy at such fast rates makes it an excellent solution for EV charging. With Torus, you can top up your EV at record speeds using stored renewable energy. It’s a quicker, cleaner way to get where you need to go.
Details & Specifications
- Made From
- 95% Steel
- Lifespan / Charge Cycles
25 Years / 50,000 Cycles
- Effective Energy Storage
- Energy Retention After 10 Years
- Operating Temperatures
- -20° to 140° F
- Charging Speed (C-rate)
- 20-30 min
- Potential Storage Capacity
1 day 32 kWh, 10 years 116,800 kWh, 25 years 292,000 kWh